Bayern Munich star Joshua Kimmich has been named the best midfielder in world football ahead of Manchester City playmaker Kevin De Bruyne.
The 25-year-old Germany international has followed in the footsteps of former Bayern captain Philipp Lahm by transitioning from a full-back into a defensive midfielder.
And Kimmich has continued to demonstrate his versatility and consistency with Bayern as the defending German champions captured a treble last season.
FootballCritic compiled the rankings based on its ‘algorithm,’ with the Bayern star coming out on top with a 95 overall rating.
De Bruyne, who is considered by many fans as the best midfielder in the world, finished behind Kimmich with a 92 rating.
Posted below are FootballCritic’s 25 best midfielders in world football right now.
25. Ivan Rakitic (Sevilla): 83 rating
24. Casemiro (Real Madrid): 83 rating
23. Declan Rice (West Ham United): 83 rating
22. Idrissa Gueye (Paris Saint-Germain): 84 rating
21. Manuel Locatelli (Sassuolo): 84 rating
20. Fabian Ruiz (Napoli): 84 rating
19. Rodrigo de Paul (Udinese): 84 rating
18. Franck Kessie (AC Milan): 84 rating
17. Rodri (Manchester City): 84 rating
16. David Silva (Real Sociedad): 84 rating
15. Thomas Partey (Arsenal): 85 rating
14. Jordan Henderson (Liverpool): 85 rating
13. Dani Parejo (Villarreal): 85 rating
12. Saul Niguez (Atletico Madrid): 85 rating
11. Marco Verratti (Paris Saint-Germain): 86 rating
10. Jonas Hofmann (Borussia Monchengladbach): 86 rating
9. Toni Kroos (Real Madrid): 86 rating
8. Geoffrey Kondogbia (Valencia): 87 rating
7. Sergio Busquets (Barcelona): 87 rating
6. Emre Can (Borussia Dortmund): 87 rating
5. Achraf Hakimi (Inter Milan): 88 rating
4. Leon Goretzka (Bayern Munich): 89 rating
3. Thiago Alcantara (Liverpool): 92 rating
2. Kevin De Bruyne (Manchester City): 92 rating
1. Joshua Kimmich (Bayern Munich): 95 rating