Ex-Liverpool midfielder Kevin Stewart has spoken out regarding his frustrating at a lack of game time at Anfield prior to his summer move to Championship Hull City.
Speaking to the Hull Daily Mail, the 23-year-old Stewart expressed a desire to “progress to the next level” whilst in the north-east, and vowed to prove that the recently-relegated Tigers were right to part with a reported £4m in order to sign him.
The defensive midfielder was signed by the Reds from Tottenham Hotspur in 2014, and subsequently spent time on-loan at a plethora of other clubs including Cheltenham, Burton and Swindon before signing a three-year deal with the Tigers last week.
When speaking about his move, Stewart said: “I didn’t feel as though I could risk staying at Liverpool for another year and just play five to 10 games.
“That wouldn’t have been enough for me if I want to progress and go to the next level. That’s what I can do here.
— Hull City (@HullCity) July 21, 2017
“I think this is the safer and better option for my career. I’ve found myself getting frustrated at Liverpool. I had some great times there and I don’t regret it but it feels as though I’ve left at just the right time. Liverpool gave me a great platform to get this move.”
Stewart will become Hull’s most expensive signing made whilst the club are not in in the Premier League.
“I was very, very flattered when I heard that. I’ll definitely pay that back with work rate for sure and look to show what I can do,” he added.
“My agent called up when I was on tour with Liverpool and said that Hull had put in a bid. I was really excited for the opportunity as soon as I heard about it.