Liverpool news: Philippe Coutinho given no assurances about Barcelona move next summer

PHILIPPE COUTINHO is reportedly upset with Liverpool after they refused to give him assurances about a move to Barcelona next summer.

Coutinho, 25, was Barcelona’s top transfer target as they look to find a replacement for Neymar this summer.

The Brazil international handed in a transfer request to try and push through a move to the Nou Camp.

But Liverpool issued a public statement to outline that their prized asset is not for sale.

The La Liga giants lodged three bids to try and sign Philippe Coutinho, including an offer of around £140million.

However, the Reds stood firm and refused to let the former Inter Milan man join Barcelona.

Coutinho is apparently hopeful that Liverpool – like Luis Suarez did in 2014 – will allow him to leave the club if a suitable offer comes in for him at the end of the season.

But The Daily Mirror claim Reds owners Fenway Sports Group have given him no such compromise.

It is said the club’s hierarchy remain determined to keep him at Anfield, with the player only signing a new five-year deal to remain at the Merseyside outfit in January.

Coutinho is currently on international duty with Brazil after recovering from his mystery back injury.

He scored in their World Cup qualifying opener against Ecuador and is in contention to start against Colombia on Tuesday before heading back to Liverpool.

But could return looking miserable, with international team-mate Neymar revealing earlier this week that he is full of angst.

He said: “Instead of being a happy time for him and for his family, it’s a moment of anguish, disappointment and sadness.”