Jurgen Klopp is preparing to raid his former club Borussia Dortmund for Christian Pulisic if Philippe Coutinho is successful in forcing through a move to Barcelona, according to The Sun.
Liverpool remain adamant the Brazil international will remain at Anfield, despite the Catalan giants preparing an £80million bid that will test the Reds’ resolve.
Despite Klopp’s confidence, the German is said to be drawing up contingency plans should his star man find the temptation of joining former Liverpool teammate Luis Suarez at Camp Nou too much to resist.
Dortmund reported to be equally determined to keep hold of the 18-year-old Pulisic, who lit up the Bundesliga last term with a series of eye-catching performances, but Klopp could yet test the waters with a £30m offer.
Coutinho was again in sparkling form as Liverpool continued their impressive pre-season campaign with a 3-0 win over Hertha Berlin on Saturday, with the former Inter playmaker laying on Mohamed Salah’s third goal in a Liverpool shirt, with the pair appearing to have struck up an instant understanding.
‘I think players like this understand each other,’ said the Liverpool manager. ‘It’s a good thing with having players of this quality. I was pleased but it was what I expected.
‘The pass was nice and the finish was not too bad also.
‘The new players are maybe better than people thought they will be.
‘I think we said early that we want to build on the squad from last year, and that’s what we’ve tried to do. For the moment, we’re really happy.
‘We don’t have many injuries now, which is the best news and if we can stay fit, we can be very strong. Unfortunately, the other teams are also really pretty strong in England, so we have no choice but to be at our highest.’